Tuesday, November 29, 2011

GIFT GUIDES! PART I: FOR THE FASHIONISTA

Yes, I took another unannounced little hiatus from the blog. Despite working all the days that most people were on holiday last week, I had an entirely lovely time showing the fiancĂ©'s family around Boston for the first time. Getting back to everyday reality is never fun, but the holidays are sneaking up on us and I'm beginning to get excited for finding the perfect gifts! There have been so many amazing gift guides in blogs and magazines this year that I'm not even going to try to compete. So I decided to narrow the playing field and use a resource that's close to my heart. 

As some of you know, I majored in Art History and have spent most of my college and post-college years working in museums. I'm passionate about expanding museum audiences, and a lot of museum shops have been trying to support that goal - often tapping into their collections' design highlights. So here's the first of my four-part gift guide, collected entirely from ... museum shops! Not only have I found a ton of fabulous things, but they all support the wonderful cause of keeping museums afloat and vibrant in this difficult economy.


First up: a fabulous collection of baubles and beads.



Clockwise from upper left:
Gold Bow Brooch by Sarah Cavender, £75, V&A Museum store. 
Portland Vase Scarf, £35, British Museum store.
Gold Half Penny Coin Purse, $38, V&A Museum store. 
Egyptian Snake Drop Earrings, $65, Met store. 
Sterling Bow Studs, $50, ICA store.
Waterfall Earrings by Alexis Bittar, V&A Museum store.
Ice Crystal Tree Earrings, $55, Met store.
Turquoise Tassel Earrings, £55, V&A Museum store.
V Dip Dye Scarf, £40, V&A Museum store.
Egyptian Chevron Ring, $33.75, Met store.
Vera Abstract Scarf, $60, Met store. 
Icon Watch by &design, $70, Cooper-Hewitt shop.
William Morris Persian Watch, $70, Met store. 
Ribbon Scarf, £10, V&A Museum store.
Boulder Ring by Helveta Vyotlag, £50, V&A Museum store.

3 comments: